« Home | Linguine with Salmon Cajun and Prawns au naturale » | Martini Bianco with Lemonade » | Salmon fillet with citrus and wild honey » | Oxtail Soup » | Simple Chicken Broth » | Mussels in white wine soup » | Stuffed Peppers » | French Onion Soup (v. 1) »

Chili con carne

History:

This is an absurdly-easy dish to do, and is delicious as well! I was trying to use up a chunk of minced beef I bought - which was originally intended for kidney-and-steak meatballs, but I didn't have any kidney or breadcrumbs with me. Partly also because I missed Scotland quite a bit these days, and thought of doing up a better version of the microwavable chili con carne I had there.

The herbs I used can easily be substituted with whatever you have at hand, and the degree of spicyness is really an individual choice. In this recipe I used 3 different types of chiles, mainly because my first attempt using only chilli padi turned out to be rather 2D in taste.

Ingredients:
  • 300g topside minced beef
  • 100ml canned tomato puree
  • 400ml canned diced tomato with basil
  • Sage (1 teaspoon)
  • Tarragon (1 teaspoon)
  • Saffron (1/2 teaspoon)
  • Canned pinto beans
  • Canned red kidney beans
  • Chilli powder
  • Chilli padi
  • Canned Jalapeno chilies
  • Salt & Pepper
Method:
  • Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet and fry minced beef until just brown
  • Add diced tomato, tomato puree and herbs. Heat until mixture boils, and simmer.
  • Add chilli powder to taste (I used 2 tablespoons), throw in the canned Jalapenos and add chilli padi to taste. For the chilli padi, I sliced them length-wise and crushed them with the flat of the knife before throwing them in. Simmer with the chiles for about 5-10 minutes.
  • Discard most of the liquid from the canned beans, and add them in. Simmer until the chili becomes piping hot.
  • Chili con carne can be eaten as-is, served over rice or frozen and re-heated (this reportedly develops its flavours.) Dad and sisters used it as a salsa dip substitute and claim that it's excellent for nachos!