« Home | French Onion Soup (v. 1) »

Stuffed Peppers

History:
A lovely dish I learnt from a lovely acquaintance, Giselle, when I visited Madison in March last year. She's Dominican, and apparently this is quite a common kind of food. I modified it somewhat, adding a little more texture and blanding down the beefy taste.

Ingredients:
1 bell pepper per serving - I like the colourful ones, and they tend to taste nicer than the greens.
75-80g minced beef per pepper - I use weight-watcher's, but that's not necessary.
Steamed rice - to add just that little bit of texture to it. Cous cous is an interesting alternative that I've yet to try, but should work out nicely too.
Seasonal vegetables - again, for the texture. Favourites are zucchini, yellow squash and mushrooms.
Assorted herbs - really up to you, but so far terragon with sage has been really great.
Seasoning for beef - soy sauce, wechestershire sauce, sesame oil, cooking wine (the chinese version works great!)
Parmesian cheese - grated or shredded

The method:
  • Preheat oven to 200C.
  • Slice off the top of the pepper neatly to form a sort of cap, and remove the seeds etc from the body to form an empty cup.
  • Mix the beef with various seasoning sauces, then add salt and pepper to taste. Add various herbs to the mix. Leave to marinate at room temperature for a while.
  • In the meantime, chop up the veggies into small cubes.
  • Over medium heat, stir-fry the beef until 90% cooked at least, then add the diced veggies and mix well.
  • Add this filling to steamed rice at a ratio of 3 parts beef to 1 part rice - more rice, if you want the mix to be fluffier.
  • Fill the peppers with the stuffing, replace the peppers' caps, then cook in oven. I don't quite know the precise time, but just check with a chopstick once in a while. The peppers should be soft and indented easily, yet not overcooked to the extent of changing colour.

    Dedications

  • First and foremost to YX, for her unwavering support of my multiple culinary misadventures and marsh wiggle-like character - putting a brave face to the worst cooking ever;
  • Also, to my partner in crime Montyelm, for his utter creativity and bravado during the steamed mango episode, which inspired many;
  • To all members of my family, for subjecting them to years of torture with semi-edible food - including purple macaroni, rock-hard lasagne and nauseating bouillabaisse;
  • And finally to several friends who also share this same passion of cooking up - quite literally - a pot of nonsense.
  • Foreword

  • An oft-heard complaint - I can make the same dish on 2 separate occasions, and they turn out to be as different from each other, as ferns are different from a mammal! Yes, I'm a firm believer of the old nanny's "a pinch of salt, a scatter of cheese and a squeeze of lemon". Here I chronicle the various dishes that I've ever tried myself, and hopefully in a reproducible manner!
  • Previous posts

    Disclaimer

    I shall not be held responsible for any mishaps, misadventures or mistakes that occur in the kitchen, should you attempt any of these. And please use some common sense - like if I say let the wine breathe, if you want to attach a BIPAP to the bottle, that's really your own problem.