« Home | Mussels in white wine soup » | Stuffed Peppers » | French Onion Soup (v. 1) »

Simple Chicken Broth

History:
Ah, just a little treat for Brownie when he was ill one day (diarrhoea actually - it was an attempt to get him to drink more fluids). But still, this is an invigorating and strangely tranquil kind of dish to nourish the lonely soul.

Ingredients:
  • Chicken breast, unskinned - size of 2 fists
  • Salt

Yeah, that's all. Now, the method:

  • Thinly slice the chicken breast, and toss with skin into a pot of boiling water. Boil for as long as you like, typically at least 30 minutes.
  • Serve hot with a pinch of salt and some of the chicken.

    Dedications

  • First and foremost to YX, for her unwavering support of my multiple culinary misadventures and marsh wiggle-like character - putting a brave face to the worst cooking ever;
  • Also, to my partner in crime Montyelm, for his utter creativity and bravado during the steamed mango episode, which inspired many;
  • To all members of my family, for subjecting them to years of torture with semi-edible food - including purple macaroni, rock-hard lasagne and nauseating bouillabaisse;
  • And finally to several friends who also share this same passion of cooking up - quite literally - a pot of nonsense.
  • Foreword

  • An oft-heard complaint - I can make the same dish on 2 separate occasions, and they turn out to be as different from each other, as ferns are different from a mammal! Yes, I'm a firm believer of the old nanny's "a pinch of salt, a scatter of cheese and a squeeze of lemon". Here I chronicle the various dishes that I've ever tried myself, and hopefully in a reproducible manner!
  • Disclaimer

    I shall not be held responsible for any mishaps, misadventures or mistakes that occur in the kitchen, should you attempt any of these. And please use some common sense - like if I say let the wine breathe, if you want to attach a BIPAP to the bottle, that's really your own problem.