« Home | Simple Chicken Broth » | Mussels in white wine soup » | Stuffed Peppers » | French Onion Soup (v. 1) »

Oxtail Soup

History:
I can't remember exactly the occasion for which I made this soup, but I do remember that my dad stole a staggering 1/3 of that huge pot BEFORE I had finished cooking it. Must have been good.

Ingredients:
  • Oxtails - try to get the skinny ones with less fat on them. They're tastier.
  • Cubed beef to add more punch
  • Dried bay leaves
  • Bouquet garni
  • Butter
  • Dried oregano
  • Meat tenderiser - you can use pineapple juice, young papaya leaves or commercial tenderisers. Tough oxtails are unpalatable, trust me.
  • Various vegetables that keep their form when cooked. My favourites are yellow squash (adds a fresh splash of colour), zucchini, carrots and celery (can be substituted by fennel, although fennel's a bit too sharp for my liking).
  • White button mushrooms, if desired. Slice thinly.
  • A father that doesn't steal unfinished masterpieces. =p

Method:

  • Quickly tenderise the oxtails for the desired amount of time.
  • Heat a pan under moderate heat, put in a small slice of butter, and quickly sear the oxtails and cubed beef till they're brown to seal the meat. If mushrooms are used, this is a good time to fry them as well, till just soft.
  • Prepare a slow-cooker at low heat, add boiling water and bouquet garni. Allow to steep for 5-10 minutes, add 1-2 bay leaves and oregano, and add beef and oxtails (and mushrooms). Allow to cook really slowly. I like to leave them to stew overnight, to really bring out the beefy flavour. *Caution* Do not add salt if there is a risk of people who steal food ;) The best deterrent around. Otherwise, a pinch of salt will be excellent.
  • Next day, add more boiling water if the soup is too strongly-flavoured. If not, dice up the vegetables and add to the soup, and boil briskly till soft. Just use a bit of common sense - indestructable ones like carrots first, of course.
  • Add salt and pepper to taste, remove bouquet garni and bay leaves.
  • Garnish with fresh herbs, present and serve.

    Dedications

  • First and foremost to YX, for her unwavering support of my multiple culinary misadventures and marsh wiggle-like character - putting a brave face to the worst cooking ever;
  • Also, to my partner in crime Montyelm, for his utter creativity and bravado during the steamed mango episode, which inspired many;
  • To all members of my family, for subjecting them to years of torture with semi-edible food - including purple macaroni, rock-hard lasagne and nauseating bouillabaisse;
  • And finally to several friends who also share this same passion of cooking up - quite literally - a pot of nonsense.
  • Foreword

  • An oft-heard complaint - I can make the same dish on 2 separate occasions, and they turn out to be as different from each other, as ferns are different from a mammal! Yes, I'm a firm believer of the old nanny's "a pinch of salt, a scatter of cheese and a squeeze of lemon". Here I chronicle the various dishes that I've ever tried myself, and hopefully in a reproducible manner!
  • Disclaimer

    I shall not be held responsible for any mishaps, misadventures or mistakes that occur in the kitchen, should you attempt any of these. And please use some common sense - like if I say let the wine breathe, if you want to attach a BIPAP to the bottle, that's really your own problem.